Soul's Harbour Headline Animator

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Come Unto Me All Ye Who Labor

These were the words of our Lord Jesus Christ and they speak loudly today more than ever as we seek comfort, courage, understanding and strength to see beyond today's fill of bad news and crushing misfortunes.

Matthew Henry (1662-1714) an English minister and Bible commentator wrote the following words concerning the words of Matthew 11:28. "Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

“Thanksgiving is a proper answer to dark and disquieting thoughts, and may be an effectual means to silence them. Songs of praise are sovereign cordials to drooping souls, and will help to cure melancholy. When we have no other answer ready to the suggestions of grief and fear, we may have recourse to this, I thank thee, O Father; let us bless God that it is not worse with us than it is.”

All of us go through tough times where it appears that all is lost, there is no way out, but wait, our Creator Father God always provides a way that leads us to victorious living through Jesus Christ, God's Son.



The following words of Jesus Christ are worth re-reading and we have included several translations of the same verses to deepen our understanding and bring comfort as we reach out and touch the hand of God, strengthening our resolve to overcome with His help; the challenges of our day.



Modern King James Version (MKJV): Matthew 11:28-30

Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls.

For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.



Good News Bible (GNB) Mat 11:28-30
"Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light."



The Massage (MSG): Matthew 11:28-30



"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me.

Get away with me and you'll recover your life.

I'll show you how to take a real rest.

Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it.

Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.

I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.

Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

From Dr. Robert E Nicholls
Writer of AIC Good News

No comments: